Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

My name is John Nicholl. I'm an Industrial Design student, based in Adelaide, South Australia and this is the beginning of somewhere that I can think aloud and share my work.

This blog is somewhat outdated.
More current projects are posted on my website.

Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr: jwrnicholl

Monday, March 17, 2014

Computer Modelling Journal, Week 2

This week I have been working on the Lego person model. The end goal is to have full technical drawings for all the parts of the Lego person.

 I started with the head, mainly because it has the least complex shape. I went and bought a new Lego person from the shops so that I could have a little comparison between the Lego I already had at home. The head pieces have no longer got a hole in the top, which is kinda confusing. Isn't that a choking hazard?

As for the body, there is a hell of a lot of detail. They've gotten smarter about how they Lego's internal structure works. There's more emphasis on supporting ridges instead of just having thicker walls. There's a small area just inside the sides of the piece for the legs to slide into, as well as all the crazy convoluted support structures for making sure the pieces clip together properly. I've made sure to take careful note of any small details, especially around the arm sockets and the area that holds the legs. So far, this is what I've got in term of the model. I'm thinking I'll scan the Lego's decals and add them into the model, then do a comparison between the two.

 Maybe I should get another Lego person and cut it open to get more detail....



After spending a good 10 minutes jotting down some measurements from the legs, I realised that the sizing of the bottom of the foot is dictated by the spacing of the Lego brick's notches. The legs also have a slight angle on their outer side. There's so much more detail that you would care to consider at a glance. So far I've modeled the leg, but I'm still unsure about the spacing and how it will go together with the hips. There's also the question about weather or no I'm happy with the way I've hollowed out the top section. It's not only a difficult and unusual shape in there, I'm not sure I fully understand it either. (Below Middle)


This week I've been abusing the "Convert Entities" tool to project geometry through to the face I'm working on. In Solidworks it took a little bit of tinkering to figure out how to do it, but eventually I got there. Also I had some trouble with trying to mirror a feature but then not being able to merge the body after I'd finished with the mirror tool. The work-around was to just go back and mirror the sketch I'd done a bunch more times to get the detailing inside the body part done. For all the parts I went with ABS Plastic (which is what Lego is made from) and a white mild gloss finish.

Next week should be the arm and hand pieces. I'm not looking forward to the awkward angles and trying to measure them with the vernier calipers. I might touch on the hips too.

No comments:

Post a Comment