Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

My name is John Nicholl. I'm an Industrial Design student, based in Adelaide, South Australia and this is the beginning of somewhere that I can think aloud and share my work.

This blog is somewhat outdated.
More current projects are posted on my website.

Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr: jwrnicholl

Monday, March 31, 2014

Computer Modelling Journal, Week 4

I am currently working on the arms piece. There's a lot of consider when trying to understand the shape. I am being encouraged to avoid doing lofts and then just adding a radius to round the corners, except that from what I can tell, that is actually what the shape is. There its almost like there's an 8th of a sphere at the shoulder, then it rounds off and flattens out down to the elbow and is just a little tube from there on. I don't understand why I should be making it more complicated that it already is. Its not like a sports car where the shapes are supposed to look sleek and organic, this is a mini-figure's arm. So far I'm working with this...


I took an old Lego piece and cut the joint off its shoulder to get a nice close up scan to draw some construction over.


Sick of arms...

No comments:

Post a Comment