Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

My name is John Nicholl. I'm an Industrial Design student, based in Adelaide, South Australia and this is the beginning of somewhere that I can think aloud and share my work.

This blog is somewhat outdated.
More current projects are posted on my website.

Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr: jwrnicholl

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Studio 4 Journal, Week 7

This Week:

  • Chiseling the Sphere
  • Latex Moulds
  • Cement Pouring
  • Electronics Assembly
Chiseling the Sphere - Forming an angle is the most complex step to this part. I decided to use a chisel to achieve this, simply because it would take just as long as setting up a machine to do so.
 







Latex Moulds - I went through and covered the rest of the parts in latex. For the top part of the sphere, I needed to coat inside of the channel and also, the outside. I made up some boxes to pour plaster in, then press the latex mould in with the MDF parts to support them. this way when I removed the MDF parts, the latex will be supported for pouring cement.







Cement Pouring - Pouring the cement went well. I'm not so sure about the mould that I made for the top part of the sphere. Time will tell how well it has turned out.



Electronics Assembly - Just soldering up the parts. Attached the buttons and switches. Mounted the LED strips and placed them in their housing. The usual parts are here, with shrink-wrap to cover the wires and the 3D printed parts which I designed to house my switch and button.






No comments:

Post a Comment