Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

My name is John Nicholl. I'm an Industrial Design student, based in Adelaide, South Australia and this is the beginning of somewhere that I can think aloud and share my work.

This blog is somewhat outdated.
More current projects are posted on my website.

Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr: jwrnicholl

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Computer Modelling Journal, Week 9

This week I filled in the top and trimmed out the battery cover. The top piece is a filled surface with three guides that all have equal curvature to the band that runs around the mouse. The construction for these lines was a little bit of a pain, because Solidworks doesn't like cooperating with me. The guides had to be contained to projected curves that run along the sides of the mouse.



You'll notice the finger indents are already there. Those were made with the Freeform tool. Symmetry is important for this one. I trued to minimise the amount of movement to achieve the right shape. Too much movement distorts other pants of the surface.


The approach  for making two separate surfaces bodies for the battery cover and bottom parts the base has to be duplicated, then trimmed so that there are two surface bodies which are identical to what existed previously. A series of projected curves and sketches  were used to create a compound curve that i could use to trim the surface bodies.


I've had a play with the middle piece's recess for when I start adding thickness to the parts. Using a simple offset surface from the top piece works well, but it doesn't accurately represent the front of the recess where it is slightly larger and has a steeper angle that the rear. I'm going to have a thing about this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment