Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

My name is John Nicholl. I'm an Industrial Design student, based in Adelaide, South Australia and this is the beginning of somewhere that I can think aloud and share my work.

This blog is somewhat outdated.
More current projects are posted on my website.

Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr: jwrnicholl

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hardwood Box

If you are a fan of timber craft, this is for you.

Back in my final year of high school I took small furniture construction as one of my subjects, which was awesome. This is the first assessment task that I built. It is a small timber box, which has the assassin's creed symbol stained into the lid.

The dark timber is Jarrah and the light timber is Meranti. Its held together with dovetails on the corners and has a rather large heavy lid. From memory, the lid is actually 22mm thick Meranti with the Jarrah border around it. Currently it serves as a box to hold my shot glasses and cocktail shaker.

Working with timber is such a pleasure to me and the natural grains of timber almost do the work for you as far as surface appearance goes.

I thought this would be a longer post... oh well...

This is the final project form high school!

A TIMBER SAFE! The amount of people that tell me how it is not secure because it could just be torn apart with a chainsaw is borderline annoying. This one has a She-oak door, Meranti sides, Jarrah handle, jarrah corners, Rosewood border and Rosewood edge trimming. The corner would have to be the best part, where the timber was cut and position so that all sides of the safe show only end grain. Also... there is a small piece of cypress pine inside the door where I drilled a hole for a hinge, but then found that I'd need two hinges. There was just a small piece of it laying around so we used it as a plug.

The original plan was to build the locking mechanism out of brass, but i was young a naive back then and didn’t understand the exact science behind a combination lock. Since I finished school I rebuilt the lock, using a modified door lock from a hardware store... but here’s a picture of the old combination lock face.



No comments:

Post a Comment